Request an appointment with one of our qualified electricians.
Westridge > Home Services > Flip's Facts
Children are curious. Thousands get hurt in Canada each year by sticking small objects into electrical sockets. Over 40% of all treated electrical injuries in children under the age of five reported in Canada were doing just this.
You can prevent this by bringing your house up to new code standards by installing tamper-resistant receptacles in you home. This is the best way to keep your youngsters safe from electrical shock. For more information about these devices, watch this video.
If I press the button on my smoke detector and it starts to beep, it must be in good working order.
This is not true, as we have had many detectors fail a smoke test after they did sound. Smoke detectors should be cleaned by vacuuming once a year. They only have a life expectancy of about 7-10 years. Sixty percent of all fire related fatalities occur in homes without working smoke detectors. If your home is more than 7 years old - you could be at risk.
More people are killed each year from 110 volts than any other power source.
It is a good idea to install GFCI breakers or receptacles in areas where water or moisture is present. Wet conditions greatly increase the likelihood of receiving a shock that can be strong enough to do you harm. Electricity and water do not mix.
The bargain outlet stores have good deals on household electrical goods, and you can save a lot of money shopping there.
The 'bargain' outlets do have great prices on some products but be aware you may be putting your family at risk. The quality of these products is not the same. One example is CFL bulbs. There is a lot of offshore equipment making it into the country with false CSA stickers on them. The Canadian government is trying to stop this, but they are still showing up on our shelves. A cheap CFL bulb could actually use more power than a regular incandescent bulb and could cause fires. Some of them you actually have to watch as to how you install them in your fixture (right side up or upside down) as they are only rated one way. That is not such a good deal after all!
Do it yourself electrical repair is not always a good idea.
Electricity is not a hobby. In order to be a qualified electrical installer it takes many years of training. If you're not 100% sure how to diagnose and repair your electrical systems and you are not knowledgable on the latest safety codes, do not attempt it. You could be doing more harm than good. Call Westridge Electric to take care of the electrical needs in your home or office. We will keep you safe and up to date.
Electrical permits are not necessary.
In Alberta, permits are required by law. You can get a homeowner's permit yourself for your primary residence and do the work yourself, or you will need a company that employs a master electrician to get a permit and do the work for you. If a company or person is not capable of obtaining an electrical permit for you, it is not legal for them to do your work. Westridge Electric employs 3 master electricians to ensure we have knowledgeable staff and to keep up with the changing industry.
Removing a third prong off of a plug can be dangerous and should never be done.
It is never safe to remove the third prong or "ground" from a plug. This is a safety feature designed to reduce shock and electrocution. Removing the third prong will diminish the grounding capabilities of the tool or appliance and could result in serious injury or even death in certain job conditions. All cords should be examined periodically to make sure there are no nicks or cuts that are deep enough to penetrate the outer insulation jacket. If there are, discard the cord or have it repaired by a qualified Electrician.
A lightning strike is the only source of a surge of Electricity.
Actually a lightning strike is the least common source of a surge. Although uncommon, a lighting strike can be devastating to electronics in your home. The best thing you can do during a lightning storm is to unplug your electronics. The most common source of a surge is actually caused by the use of high-powered electrical devices such as elevators, air conditioners and refrigerators etc. Other causes of a power surge are faulty wiring problems with the utility company's equipment and downed power lines.
Turning an appliance off by putting into standby mode is not the same as unplugging it.
Most devices continue to consume power when switched off, sometimes as much as when they are on. Products from air conditioners to DVD players cannot be switched off completely without unplugging it. We call this "Standby Power".
Aluminum Wiring is safe.
Over time Aluminum Wiring can become very dangerous. As Aluminum heats and cools it can loosen connections and cause arcing (which is a fire hazard). If your house was built between the early 60's- Late 70's you could have Aluminum wiring. Call Westridge Electric for your FREE home safety inspection of your homes wiring. Westridge Electric has the ONLY permanent solution for your aluminum wiring without any holes needing to be cut in your drywall!
This information is provided by The National Electrical Manufacturer’s Association (NEMA). Their publication is called Guidelines for Handling Water-Damaged Electrical Equipment.
Electrical equipment exposed to water can be extremely dangerous if reenergized without proper reconditioning or replacement. Do not attempt to clean any electrical components prior to contacting the manufacturer. You may unintentionally use chemicals that will further harm the equipment.
Every piece of equipment in your home, from the garage door opener to your washer, including power and extension cords, could be compromised. If there is mud or water, your equipment may no longer be grounded. If you touch it, you become the ground wire and you could experience shock. Remember that electrical shock can kill.
The function of anything with a wee motor, such as an electric can opener, or a transistor, such as your remote control, or a switch, such as your appliances and lights may be changed. They can be damaged through corrosion, through the presence of foreign particles, and through removal of lubricants.
Please adopt the “Safety First” motto and have everything checked before you use or touch. Even if a plug-in receptacle seems to be working well, there could be rusting inside that will worsen with time and increase the possibility of electric shock. Any plug, switch, panel and breaker should not be re-energized, as they must be replaced.
EECOL is open to provide required electrical parts to the public.
If when you return to your home you smell an odour like rotten eggs, see a leak, or see and exposed gas line, immediately call 911 or the ATCO gas emergency line at 403-245-7222. You may have a number of appliances fuelled by gas – your furnace, hot water tank, cook-top stove, or bbq. Have a gas fitter or plumber examine these prior to use.
If your pet was accidentally left behind when you left your home, they could be traumatized or suffering from malnutrition. Extra care and attention is needed. The Human Society is housing pets while you’re involved with cleanup. It is far better for the animal to be sheltered than with you in all the confusion and possibly unsafe conditions. For example, you can’t really mask your animal to protect them for airborne contaminants.
There are professionals who can help you clean, repair, and restore most items. Some things, however, just need to be thrown away. Your mattress and box spring cannot be cleaned. Particleboard furniture cannot be repaired.
Furniture - Remove upholstery immediately, disinfect and dry wood out of sunlight
Laundry - Dry outdoors first, evaluate later (that special wedding gown may be saved)
Photos - separate, rinse six times without soap, and dry outdoors face up
Persian and Wool Rugs - do not wash; hang up to air dry, call a professional
Silver - you may lose a layer of silver with extreme cleaning, but it could be worth it
Food and Dishes - Even if you want to salvage canned goods, there’s a process
Cleaning up After a Flood - This info was compiled by a group of people who have been through it.
ONE FINAL NOTE – BEWARE OF TRADES CON ARTISTS
Sadly, these types of tragedies attract untrustworthy companies and people. Because you are stressed and anxious to get repairs done, you may make decisions such as finding a contractor too quickly. Both the Better Business Bureau and the Building Trades of Alberta organization recommend getting three quotes. No accredited tradespeople will mind you asking for credentials. Do not listen to anyone coming directly to your door – in such times this kind of soliciting is totally unnecessary and they are likely con artists. Some out-of-province plates may be legitimate; some may not.
The owners and staff of Westridge Electric wish you well as you regain a livable home.
PLEASE STAY SAFE